Week 14 Storytelling: Petting Zoo

Once upon a time, not too long ago, there was a bunny named Emma. Emma lived at the Greendale petting zoo, where she was a fan favorite. Emma was very soft and fluffy and she was the only rabbit at the zoo so many people were very interested in playing with her when they came to visit.

Emma was a very happy bunny. However, she often felt lonely at the petting zoo because she did not have any rabbit friends. Until one day, when she woke up to find that three new bunnies had been brought to the zoo. 

She could hear them talking through the wall of the miniature barn in which she slept. Excited to make friends with them, she stayed up all night preparing herself to meet them. While she was waiting, she overheard them giggling outside her stall whispering about how funny it would be to bite the zoo visitors. Emma heard the new rabbits sharing this idea and thought that maybe she should do it to, so they will like her and want to be her friend.

They next day, Emma did her best to try and bite and scratch every person who visited her. After a while, the other animals started to notice that something was wrong.

"Maybe something is wrong! What if they are hurting her," Gabby the goat exclaimed!
I don't think so,"  suggested Danny the duck, "the new rabbits in the yard have been very mean too! Maybe they are encouraging Emma to act like that!"

The animals got together that night and decided that they have to find out what is bothering Emma. That night they gathered around for dinner after the zoo closed. After they ate their meal, Danny and Gabby found Emma to check on her.

"Emma! We noticed you were acting differently today! I hope everything is okay with you," Gabby inquired.

"I'm fine," Emma said, I'm just acting the way bunnies act!"

"What do you mean," asked Danny, "You have always been the nicest bunny! You are everyone's favorite because you're so nice and make everyone around you feel happy!"

They talked for a while longer and Emma agreed that she did not enjoy being rude to everyone. She went back to her bed to sleep that night and thought long and hard. She decided that she had jumped to conclusions too quickly. She already has friends who love and support her, if it took changing herself to make friends with the new bunnies, it is not something she wanted to do.


This photo called "Van Hages Petting Zoo" comes from Ms. Airwolfhound on Flickr



Authors Note:

This is our story adaptation of The Elephant Girly-Face. Once again, I am working with my niece to help me write these. We agreed that we wanted all of our stories to focus on the moral lesson that can be learned from each story. We really like having animals as characters so we have done that for each one. Something that I've been trying to add to all of my stories is more dialogue, which allowed the two of us to learn more about incorporating dialogue into our writing. We were working on finding other ways to say "he/ she said," such as "exclaimed," "inquired," etc. I allowed her to write most of this story (I just typed what she told me to), so lots of the wording is off or odd. I will be going back and doing revisions, I just loved the idea of her writing being the first thing readers encountered.







Comments

  1. Linsey,

    This was such a great story. First off, the bunny is so cute and I love how fluffy it looks. I like how in the end Emma decided that she did not need to change in order to fit in with the new bunnies. It is such a good lesson in life for people, but animals too I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linsey,
    I love, love, love that you and your niece are working together to write these stories! I have 3 nieces and they are my best friends. Spending time with one another and brainstorming to teach such valuable lessons is so very special! I hope that even after this class if over with, that the two of you continue to bond in this way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment