Week 2: Reading Overview





Nala and Damayanti
(R. Wilson, Indian Story Book,


The Ramayana version I chose to read for week three was the Public Domain Edition. I chose this version because it easy to access and because it seems like a more immersive reading experience. The fact that it contains many different authors and writing styles, as well as the fact that there are illustrations and links to notes, I think it will allow me to be a little more involved with the reading.

Comic Books:

The first comic book that I chose that caught my attention was "Vasavadatta: The Princess who Captivated a True Kshatriya," I chose this specific comic book because I was originally looking for a story that contained a strong female. This story caught my eye because the guide explained that it was a fairytale twist on a traditional Buddhist tale, which sounded very interesting to me. 

The second comic book I chose was "Anant Pai: Master Storyteller," I chose this one because after reading the description, it felt like a story that was somewhat familiar to me, and after doing some research, I found out that the story is based on a real person, which is something that is always interesting to me. 

Videos:

The first video that caught my attention was about Hindu Creation Stories. I always like learning about the creation stories of various religions and cultures, to see how they compare to Christianity. I find it very interesting to compare the traditions of other cultures to those of my own. I found it really interesting that there is more than one creation story in Hindu traditions, this is something I think I would like to look more into.

The second video that caught my attention was a video called Why We Worship Trees. Once again, I chose this one because I like to learn about traditions and see how they compare to my own. I liked watching this video and learning about the significance of trees and what the different trees represent.










Comments